2. Santa Fe, NM—The Penitentiary of New Mexico houses approximately 260 inmates in Supermax or The Box, reports the Santa Fe Mexican. Prison officials call isolation units the Predatory Behavioral Management Program. The main purpose of the program, prison officials say, is to isolate predatory inmates who are a danger to staff or other inmates and the public. At least eight lawsuits, since January, were filed against the isolation units. Prison officials claim inmates who show behavioral improvements may get out of their cells to receive drug counseling, anger management and educational programs, however, some in- mates dispute that claim.
5. Huntsville, Tex.—On Sept. 26, Troy Clark was executed by a lethal injection of pentobarbital. He was convicted of the kidnap/ murder of a woman in 1998. Clark’s last statement was that he did not do the killing, The Texas Tribune reports.
6. Houston, Tex.—State prison officials are reviewing grievances denied to inmates seeking dentures. Prison officials plan to clarify when dentures are needed as well as creating a review board to recommend who gets dentures. The change comes after The Houston Chronicle reported that the state prison policy had said chewing isn’t a medical necessity and that inmates could eat pureed food.
8. Pennsylvania—A non-profit organization that sends free reading material to incarcerated people and prison libraries wrote in the Washington Post “… books and publications, including legal primers and prison newsletters, cannot be sent directly to incarcerated Pennsylvanians. Instead, if they want access to a book, they must first come up with $147 to purchase a tablet and then pay a private company for electronic versions of their reading material — but only if it’s available among the 8,500 titles offered to them through this new ebook system.”
10. Seattle—became the 20th state where courts or legislatures have abolished or ended the death penalty, The New York Times reports. The state’s highest court ruled that capital punishment had been “imposed in an arbitrary and racially biased manner.”