Present for the Administration: Capt. M.D. Thompson, Sgt. Taylor
Time/Location: H-Unit Conference Room, Friday, Jan. 16, 2009
Topics of Discussion: Change of command (Thompson replacing Dorsey as Captain in H-Unit, council informed what to expect)
- Medical issues, slow pace of pill call causing tardiness to work (nurses are being encouraged to begin passing out meds at 5:30, nurses are still delayed on occasion due to time-consuming medication prep.
- Phones not working (improvements are already noted, all lines are to be replaced by early February
- Canteen issues, spending old money (computer refreshes allowable balance once per month)
- Yard not opening in the evenings until late, if at all (Thompson says this is no longer an issue)
- Issue of gloves revisited (inmates cannot wear workout gloves while walking the track, only while working out, recommend against purchasing brown gloves thru packages)
- Issue of 2nd watch property searches being conducted without inmates present, and no property receipts are being left (Thompson says staff has undergone additional training to encourage compliance)
- Personal clothing being taken during laundry searches (only laundry is to be taken during laundry searches, laundry is not to be hung above wall level)
- Possibility of extra Dorm 1 privileges discussed (Thompson says side yard will be opened following 4:00 p.m. count as long as inmates make it to chow on time)
- Late stragglers to meals (will no longer be permitted)
- Institutional transfers discussed (Thompson says anyone dissatisfied with life at SQ – see him!)
The next H-Unit Men’s Advisory Council meeting will be held March 13.